Ticks and fleas are an absolute nuisance to our beloved pets. They not only cause irritation and itching but also bring potential health hazards to pets, such as Lyme disease, babesiosis, anaplasmosis, anemia, and more. Fleas diseases to humans, such as flea-borne spotted fever, typhus, cat scratch fever, etc in some cases. Such transmission happens through bites.
Therefore, as a pet parent, your first responsibility is to get rid of ticks and fleas as soon as the first signs prop up. Understandably, the first instinct is to opt for a chemical-based tick and flea-controlling solution for your pet. But, the unfortunate part is that there is no chemical compound that can control ticks and fleas while leaving your pets and households safe and healthy. In such a context, natural remedies like baking soda come to the rescue. Such alternative solutions are holistic and considerably safer.
Does Baking Soda Kill Fleas?
Yes, baking soda can definitely kill fleas. The secret behind getting rid of ticks and fleas is getting rid of their larvae and eggs, and in this context, baking soda can help. Baking soda along with common table salt can successfully kill the larvae and eggs of fleas multiplying in your pet’s coat. And, the best part is that it is a safe, inexpensive, and effective strategy of flea control of your dear pet. To create an effective baking soda solution to prevent flea infestation, simply follow the steps below –
- You have to start by buying baking soda and salt by the gallons, of course. This is helpful if you are planning to treat all the rooms of your home against flea infestation.
- It is best to keep pets outdoors when you are treating your entire home. Huge amounts of baking soda and salt can be irritating to their skin, especially if they have open flea sores or wounds.
- Mix the salt and baking soda and fill the mixture in a shaker bottle.
- To kill fleas with the baking soda and salt solution, simply sprinkle the salt and baking soda on the entire carpeted area. Then, use a broom to spread the mixture evenly to all areas.
- Leave the mixture of salt and baking soda on the carpet overnight. The solution works by dehydrating the fleas and eventually eradicating them.
- Then, vacuum the carpet thoroughly to get rid of dead or dying fleas.
- Repeat the process every three to four days, as flea eggs hatch within this period. The treatment, thus, gets more effective and you can get rid of all the fleas in your home.
How Long Does It Take Baking Soda to Kill Fleas?
It takes three to four days to kill fleas from baking soda, as their eggs take 3 to 4 days to hatch. Remember, you can also opt for the best home and Lawn Care in Sarasota to get rid of any pest infestation. Professionals have the experience and solutions to get your home back to normal in no time!
Read More: How Long Do Cockroaches Live? Let’s Find Out!